Top 5 beneficial plants and herbs you can grow from your condo
Indoor gardening is a growing trend right now plus it’s fun and can yield pretty useful results in the process. You can easily transform a small space in your condo, preferably near a window, into a mini-gardening space.
To get you started, here are some plants and herbs to jumpstart your indoor gardening project.
You must be familiar with the term ‘aloe vera’ since it is a commonly used ingredient for a wide array of beauty and health products. Its popularity is attributed to the many natural health benefits it possess. It has been tested to heal wounds and keep the skin moisturized and protected.
Tips in growing your first aloe vera plant:
- Keep in mind that the aloe plant needs enough sunlight to thrive
- Cactus potting soil mix is recommended because this plant loves dry soil
- The aloe vera plant grows straight and upward. If it starts drooping, it probably needs more sunlight.
Lemongrass is used in most Asian cuisine recipes. It is a perennial plant which enjoys plenty of sunlight and average soil. It is one of those types of plant which you can buy once then continuously regrow at home.
Tips in growing your first lemongrass plant:
- Put the lemongrass pot in an area with plenty of sun.
- Keep the plant hydrated
- If it’s starting to outgrow its pot, transfer a few stalks with the bulb to a new pot.
Chives are called nutrient-dense food because it is low in calorie but has large amounts of nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Its aroma is also a great natural pest repellant.
Benefits of consuming chives include cancer prevention and mood enhancement.
Tips in growing your first pot of chives:
- Chives prefer six to eight hours of direct sunlight
- If a sunny window is not available, a fluorescent light six to twelve inches above the pot should also do the trick
- Misting the chives with a spray bottle will prevent low humidity
Basil is one of the most commonly known herb and it is used in a lot of Italian dishes. It is considered the “oldest herb” and has a distinct flavor. You can just add this to any dish and expect it to taste good.
Tips in growing your first basil plant:
- Provide proper drainage in the pot; Basil can be easily over-watered.
- Place the basil pot in a sunny window to receive six to eight hours of sunlight.
- Indoor-grown basil needs fertilizing. General houseplant fertilizers should be enough.
Parsley can be easily found throughout the year in the market but it will be a whole lot easier and cheaper to just grow your own.
Being popular, parsley can be easily disregarded as that green thing that just makes food look fancy but it actually has real benefits. It has anti-diabetic, anti-cancer, and anti-rheumatoid arthritis properties.
Tips in growing your own parsley:
- Give fish emulsion to the plant every two weeks or half-strength liquid fertilizer
- Basil, mint, chives, thyme, and oregano can grow in the same pot with the parsley
- Just keep the soil of the parsley plant lightly moist
There you go! Five easy-to-grow plants and herbs to put in your mini-gardening space.
So what are you waiting for? Start indoor gardening in your condo today!
Planning to get your own place? Contact Honeycomb Builders Inc. today to get the most affordable condo options.